Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Welcome to my blog!

Hello!

My name is Urmi Mota and I’m a senior at BASIS Scottsdale. Instead of attending school for the last trimester, seniors at our school are given the unique opportunity to conduct a research study of their choice. I will be pursuing my Senior Project, “Within the NICU: It’s a Family Matter” at Banner Desert Medical Center, specifically in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) of the connected Cardon Children's Medical Center.


Ever since I was little, I’ve had an interest in medicine. No one in my immediate or extended family ever had a career in the medical field which is probably one of the main reasons that my curiosity for the field grew. Over the years, I have volunteered at multiple hospitals and participated in numerous classes both in and out of school that have helped me gain perspective about this field. Therefore, when the chance arrived where I could pursue a project of my choice, I knew that I wanted to explore this field, but I didn’t know what exactly I wanted to research. That is, until I started volunteering at Banner Desert Medical Center (BDMC).
Banner Desert Medical Center
I became a hospital volunteer for BDMC in the fall of 2016, supervising those who enter and exit the NICU facility. Over the few months that I volunteered there, I wanted to learn more about what was going on within the NICU facility rather than just from the conversations I’ve had with people from the outside.

Family Centered Care, an approach to the planning, delivery, and evaluation of health care that is grounded in mutually beneficial partnerships among health care providers, patients, and families, is the idea that the patient's family plays a vital role in a patient recovery by being informed and involved every step of the treatment. Before the 1970's, pediatric patients were often separated from their parents for diagnosis or treatment because of the belief that the hospital institution, treatment, and medication were the most important factors to improve a child’s health. In the 1970s and 1980s, the importance of family in pediatric health became more widely recognized and implemented. However, the implementation of family involvement in a child’s health progression was slower in the NICU compared to other medical services. While virtually all hospitals emphasize the importance of family interaction within pediatric patients’ road to recovery, some still restrict family involvement within the NICU with rules such as visiting hours or limits on external visitors other than immediate family members.


My research aims to look at to what extent Family Centered Care is implemented within the NICU at Banner Desert Medical Center. For a more detailed explanation of my project, please feel free to check out Senior Project Proposal on the right sidebar.


Along with shadowing neonatal professionals, neonatal nurses, and nurse practitioners here in Arizona, I hope that sometime in the next ten weeks that we spend pursuing this Senior Project I will be able to travel to India to observe to what extent Family Centered Care is implemented at the Shrimad Rajchandra Hospital in Dharampur, India. As this hospital is located in rural India, it would be very interesting to see to what extent the core ideas of Family Centered Care are implemented there, as the culture is completely different.

Over the next few months, I will update this blog regularly with my experiences and interesting findings I have while at the hospital. With only another week of school left, I am eager to start on this journey and hope that you come back to see where it takes me!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Urmi! I think your senior research project sounds so cool, especially since you'll be able to compare your findings in Banner Desert Medical Center to the Shrimad Rajchandra Hospital in India. I also really respect that you've always known you wanted to become a doctor since you were little. How exactly are you planning on looking at the implementation of Family Centered Care at these hospitals? What differences do you expect from hospitals in the U.S. versus hospitals in India?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nichole! I'm planning on asking the providers questions through a survey to gain more insight about how they've implemented Family Centered Care. As for you other question, there's been a change in my project, so please check back for my next post! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Urmi! I can't believe you will be traveling to India for this internship! That's amazing! You mentioned that it is centered in a rural area, so it will have different "core ideas". Is this all there is to your decision for interning in India?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam! My project has actually changed since I made this post, and I won't be travelling to India anymore unfortunately. Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Urmi! I am so excited to see your project come alive. It has already been a fascinating journey working with you on the parts of your proposal to setting up your blog to now having your first live post. In what ways have you implemented Family Centered Care as a volunteer? Even if you may not have realized it before, are there certain things that you do to make the family feel more involved in the patient's treatment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ms. Conner! It's been absolutely working with you this year and I'm incredibly thankful for all the help and guidance that you've given me. As a volunteer, my job is authorize the entry for families within the NICU. Many times people aren't allowed inside, and I always try to find a way that they could be, especially if they are a family member. Also, I'm not sure if there are certain things I do to make a family feel more involved. I guess the one thing I can think of that I've done before is inform families if the patient has changed locations within the unit.

      Delete
  4. This projects sounds really interesting and detailed Urmi! I think it's awesome how you have been volunteering here for a little bit already and get to continue but more in depth with your research project. What made you want to focus particularly on the Family Centered Care aspect of the treatment? Have you always been interested in this side of the medical field or just the medical field in general?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Luke! Thanks for your comment! I wanted to focus on Family Centered Care specifically because it is something that hasn't been researched in detail before. There's very limited information about it available as it is a fairly newer concept. And yes, I've always loved children and pediatrics is something I definitely always had in the back of my mind.

      Delete
  5. Hi Urmi! Your project seems very interesting and I can't wait to learn more about your topic in the future. Before going into the project, could you elaborate on what your previous experiences for BDMC and what it taught you about the NICU?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Liam! I have volunteered there for more than 6 months now at the NICU front family service desk. I answer calls on behalf of the NICU, authorize entry for patient families, and basically any other smaller things related. I've definitely learned how complex the NICU is by volunteering there. I never realized how many different aspects and details there are to be considered or taken care of before I started volunteering at BDMC. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete