Friday, February 24, 2017

The Main HUS Desk!

Hi there and happy weekend!


Firstly, in last week's post, I said that I witnessed the procedure in which nurses were attaching a Wound Vac to a baby. Just to clarify, the procedure was not a surgery and I did not witness the surgeries that the patient had before. A Wound Vac is a device that fastens the healing of a wound after surgeries. I saw the process in which they were attaching it to the child’s post surgical wound. A lot of you asked about it in the comments, so I'm sorry if I wasn’t clear enough!

Anyways, this week I shadowed the PCA who was in charge of the main desk of the NICU, called the HUS desk. As I have shadowed a PCA before, I knew that PCA stands for Patient Care Assistant and they have various jobs from being in charge of the technical aspects, making specific milk formulas, helping the nurses in any situation where needed, or taking specific orders, but I wasn’t aware that they also are in charge of the main desk. Although this week I didn’t observe a profession that is more hands on in the patient's’ treatment, it was very interesting to see how many various tasks the main desk performs, as it is informally called by many of the people who work there as the “heart of the NICU”.


Some of the many jobs included: responding to or tending to patients’ families questions or concerns, answering phone calls on the behalf of the NICU, ordering or requesting specific supplies such as diaper cream or a product to be added in the milk formula, sorting through paperwork or patients’ portfolios, or helping the nurses with certain logistics. Basically, there’s a lot to do. Without the HUS desk, the NICU probably could have seemed a bit disorganized. That’s probably why it’s also known as the “heart of the NICU”; it was literally the center of the entire facility.


On the wall behind the main desk was a whiteboard with the all patients’ names color coded and ordered corresponding to the doctor that was in charge of the care. And next to whiteboard was a door that opened into the doctor’s officer, where all the doctors sat at their desks filling out reports, talking, etc. Since the doctors’ office was directly behind the main desk, many times the patients’ families came to talk to the doctors to learn more about the current situation or to ask a question. Out of the many interactions that I witnessed between the doctors and the families of the patients, the one that caught my interest the most was a conversation that was in spanish!


As the family didn't know English fluently, the doctor talked to them in Spanish. After the family left, she said that she learned Spanish while younger and that it has really helped in her profession. Not only is it easy for her to communicate to families who speak Spanish, but it also is easier for the families to trust the her as they can fully understand what the situation is and any other details related to their child’s treatment.


Anyways, that’s all for this week! Thank you for all the amazing comments and feedback you have been giving for the past couple of weeks! And until March,


23 comments:

  1. Hi Urmi!

    It's exciting to see that you are branching out and exploring the various parts of the NICU center! If anything, what does HUS stand for? In addition, it was very interesting to hear about the scenario you witnessed with the Spanish speaking family! Have you had any experiences where you used a second language to help anyone in the hospital? Hope you have another great week! I look forward to reading more about your observations in the NICU center!

    Bhumika K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bhumika! I'm not entirely sure what it stands for exactly, but I'll find out next week. I have actually had to speak Spanish a couple times while volunteering at the NICU's front desk, so I guess years of Spanish at school was definitely helpful. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Urmi!
    It is so great that you are getting to explore every part of this center. I think it is really amazing how much knowing a second language can impact someones job as well as their connection with thier patients. I cannot wait for next weeks post! Thank You!!
    Pooja K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pooja! Thanks for your awesome comment :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Urmi! I love getting to learn more about the different places in the NICU that you get to see each week! Are a majority of doctors bilingual or partially bilingual to be able to interact with more patients? Also, are the PCAs the main liaisons between doctors and patient's parents? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Esha! I'm not sure about all the doctors, but a couple definitely partially bilingual. And I think nurses are the main liaisons between the doctors and patients. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Urmi! It's exciting to see that you're looking at all the aspects of the NICU. It also must be interesting to see the interaction between patients and doctors. Would you consider learning another language to be able to converse with more patients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nichole! One of my plans is to minor in Spanish in college so it would definitely help in the field of healthcare. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  6. Hey Urmi! Glad to see that everything is working out and progressing well. Did you see any flaws in the "heart" while you were shadowing there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam! I didn't see any particular flaws besides the fact that there wasn't much to do when things got more calm and slow.

      Delete
  7. Hi Urmi! It's so interesting to see that you are exploring other parts of the NICU and how important those other parts are. Would you be interested in working at the front desk in the future as a PCA? I am so glad to see that doctors really care about their patients and are willing to learn another language. Thank you and can't wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Madeline! I'm not sure, I think that I would like a career that has constant change and movement, so maybe working at a desk wouldn't be the best for me personally. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  8. HI Nicole. I love how you emphasize the importance of the people behind the desks who help run the operation of the hospital. Are there any other roles that these people perform?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ethan, I'm Urmi, who's Nicole? There are multiple roles, the PCA's switch roles weekly. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Urmi, it's exhilarating to see that you are exploring different parts of the center. I think it is important to know more than one language to help you in the future. I am excited to see more and learn more in the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Urmi!! It is very interesting to read about your experience. I loved learning about information from different parts of the center and the many roles. What languages are the most helpful to know in this profession?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Siena! I think it depends on the location. Since we are in AZ, I'd say Spanish is definitely the second most important after English.

      Delete
  11. Hey Urmi, that's cool how you got to see a different part of the NICU. Over the past few weeks have you seen any areas or tasks that you think would be particularly interesting to shadow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luke! I hope that I can shadow high risk nurses in the future because that'd be very interesting to observe.

      Delete
  12. Hi Urmi! It's great to be able to see different parts of the NICU as it allows you to see how the entire thing works as one cohesive unit. Are you going to be able to shadow different parts of the NICU in future weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Liam, there's some positions that I haven't had the chance to see that much of yet so I hope so!

      Delete