Friday, April 14, 2017

The End!

Hey everyone! I can’t believe that this was the final week of the senior project. It feels like it just started a couple weeks ago, but 10 weeks flew by so quickly! I want to say a massive thank you to both Ms. Rothlisberger, my NICU on-site mentor, and Dr. Vegunta, my Pediatric Surgery on-site mentor, for taking time out of their insanely busy schedules to not only let me observe within the units but also to guide me along the way. Also, a huge thank you to Ms. Conner for being there since the beginning and helping in every single situation and aspect related to the senior project, and to Ms. Mitrovich for helping me connect me find a second site placement and for dealing with all of my late messages (sorry!). Lastly, thanks to all of you for your questions, comments, and support for my project and for taking the time to read my posts every week, even if a few of them got too long. :)


Anyways, back to the project itself. Since it was the last week on-site, I spent a majority of my time analyzing the results from the surveys. I conducted a total of 43 survey interviews that I used for the sake of my project. There were a couple that I couldn’t use as either a question was left unanswered or the profession wasn’t specified, which would’ve ruined my result accuracy. Although I would’ve liked to have more, I’m glad I was able to conduct 43 as my original goal was 40. If you don’t recall from a few weeks ago what my survey looked like, here it is again: Within Pediatrics: It's a Family Matter Survey


Over the course of the 10 weeks, my question changed slightly as I became more focused on the awareness and opinions that the healthcare personnel had regarding family centered care rather that to what extent it was implemented. Originally, I expected that healthcare personnel that spent more time with patients such as nurses would have had a more positive reaction to family centered care. I also expected healthcare personnel that spend less time with the patients and the families such as the administrative staff or PCA’s would have less awareness about the subject. However, turns out that I was completely wrong.


The results came out with not significant different in between the different professions that I shadowing within the two facilities. In contrast, nurses were actually the most open about the drawbacks and negative aspects of family centered care. Another thing that was unexpected was the surveys that I conducted at the PACU, where the healthcare personnel attend to adult patients. That also led to interesting results, as a high proportion of nurses who cared for adults knew less about family centered care compared to those in pediatric care.

Once again, thank you so much for reading my journey with the senior project. I hope you enjoyed reading about it as much I did writing about it :)

19 comments:

  1. Hi Urmi. Congratulations on the progress that you have made so far. What is the reason why some nurses are not very knowledgeable about family centered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ethan! Family centered care is given more importance in pediatrics, so adult care nurses were a bit less informed about it.

      Delete
  2. What a journey! I am so happy that I got to serve as your faculty adviser and read about your project each week. I think it is fascinating that your results were unexpected. I look forward to hearing you describe the process at your final presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ms. Conner! Thanks so much! I'm so glad that you are my faculty adviser and I can't wait until the presentation :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Urmi! It's been so amazing reading your posts every week and seeing how many new things you learn and exciting procedures you witness. I hope to use your own research and experience to learn more about pediatrics in the future as a profession! What was your biggest takeaway from the experience of interning at a hospital?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esha! I don't know what my biggest takeaway was because there were definitely a lot of new things that I learned, but one of the more surprising ones was how different pediatric care is in comparison to adult care. I didn't realize that difference until I started this project. Thanks so much for following along :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Urmi! I am so glad that I have gotten to read your posts every week and I have learned so much about your experience. The results and conclusions were different than what you had expected, but what shocked you the most after conducting surveys? Also, after being at the hospital for many weeks, what was best takeaway for you during your experience? Thank you for the great posts every week and good luck on your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Madeline, thanks so much! The most surprising thing to me about the surveys were how confused some people were by the name "family centered care". But as soon as I explained it, they understood within a few seconds. One of my biggest takeaways for sure is that being at a hospital isn't what we would normally expect. There are so many factors and people behind the care of one person, not just the main people and things that we see. Thanks for following along :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Urmi!

    Congratulations of finishing all 10 weeks of your senior research project! It was so fascinating to read about your experiences and observations! It'll be really interesting to see how you may use these experiences in the future! What was your favorite part of the overall experience of entering in the NICU at Banner health? Is there any particular fact or piece of insight you gained that stood out the most to you? Thank you for all the amazing post! Best of luck for your final presentation!

    Good Luck!
    Bhumika K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bhumika! One thing that I will carry with me is that pediatric care is vastly different than adult care, I didn't realize how different the two were until I started this project. Thanks for following along since day 1 :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Urmi! I'm so glad you finished the ten weeks of you senior research project. I loved reading about your experiences every week and the many things you learned from your journey. What was the most memorable moment you had during the ten weeks? What was one of the most interesting things you learned or something that shocked you the most about the practice? Thank you for sharing your journey and good luck on your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Siena! The most memorable moment was definitely the time I spent with the baby that was merely 22 weeks old because it was truly remarkable to see how technology can changed the outcomes of some lives. One of the most interesting things I learned was how everyday is a learning process Not only for me but for everyone: the family, the patients, the healthcare personnel. Everyday is a new day with a unique situation. Thanks for following along on my blog :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Urmi! I had such an amazing time reading your posts for the past 10 weeks. I think its really exciting that your results were not whatt you expected, because not only will it make your presentation super exciting, it will allow us as readers of your bolg and you to wonder and think about why the results came out unexpected. Thank you so much for taking us through this amazing journey with you! I cant wait for your presenatation!!
    -Pooja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pooja! I'm glad you enjoyed my posts and thanks so much for following along :)

      Delete
  9. It's been quite the journey for the past 10 weeks, huh? I hope you enjoyed and learned something about your research project much like I did! Just the presentation left!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Urmi! It seems that you have had an amazing journey this past 10 weeks. Can't wait to see your final presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nichole, can't wait for yours either!

      Delete